Speed is not traditionally something I work hard at when I'm riding. I'm just not that into it. My rides are more for pleasure, and I enjoy taking in the scenery etc. My wife will tell you that my rides are also about endurance - the further I can go the better I like it, and I can pretty much stay on a bike all day if the opportunity presents itself. I know that I will never compete in the Tour De France or the Olympics , and I'm OK with that. There are times, however, as I mentioned in the previous post on endurance, when I actually need to reach a destination and be "on time". Therefore, though speed may be relative it also has it's place in your training. If you've got the right bicycle, seat, and pedals, and if you've got the right clothing, then the only thing you need to do to improve your speed is (duh) ride faster. Most of the time this means pushing yourself beyond what's comfortable. If you're going to try to improve your spe...
Just spent about 30 mins straightening the rim on my bike. The key to straightening a bent rim is patients. I have a $3 tool to tighten spokes. I simply spin the wheel and see where it is bent, then tighten the spokes on the opposite side. Works well and I have done it several times. I seem to bend wheels easily while off roading. Good trick to know.
I decided to address this issue first, because if you're not comfortable you won't be able to ride very fast OR very far. The first comfort item, of course, is the bike itself. You don't have to spend a fortune on a bike, but you DO need to spend enough to get a decent one. I don't recommend buying your bike at WalMart. Find a reputable dealer. The dealer should be able to measure you for a frame . You should be able to straddle the bike and your crotch should not touch the center bar - there should be about 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance. In addition to frame size, tire size (or, more appropriately, rim size) must be considered. Most mountain bikes or trail bikes use 24 or 26 inch rims; most street bikes use 26 or 27 inch rims The next question is bike configuration. For riding in a hilly area such as northwestern Pennsylvania, you will want as many gears as you can get; if you can include a "mountain climbing" gear, that is even better. Riding "stan...
Comments
Post a Comment